Tuesday, December 21, 2010

GYOZA

 I recently up dated my status on facebook to "Making Gyoza" and was surprise to find so many people wanting to make them but not knowing how! First off, here is a great basic recipe ! 

As for mine, I don't follow a specific recipe. I always start with a whole cabbage and about 3 lbs of ground pork, then to taste I add, chive, sake, soya sauce and mirin. When I feel fancy, I add snow peas and coriander. I put all the ingredient in my food processor and make sure everything is very finely chop.

The great thing about gyoza is that you can pretty much make them anything you like! If you want them vegetarian, skip the beef! If you like shrimp better... go a head!!

As for the wrapper, any Chinese grocery and even some Zerhs or Loblaws carry Dumpling wrappers. You want to buy the little round shape ones.

 
If I use a whole cabbage and 3lbs of meat, I usually need 4 packs of wrappers. I know it makes a lot but don't worry! You can easily freeze them and eat them later!

When you wrap them, use water to seal the edge and not egg (like you would when making won ton). You should also only pleat one side of the dough (not both side like for Chinese dumplings). This way, they will stand up when they cook.



The wrapping process can be really long and tedious. Get some friends or family member to join you. It then becomes a great afternoon activity! The process is simple enough that children could help. (I remember as a kid, making won ton with mom. It was always lots of fun!!!) 

When you cook them, you can:
  1. Steam it!
  2. Boil it in a soup.
  3. Deep friend it.
  4. or my favorite way: Pan fried them. First at low heat for about 15 minutes, then at higher heat for about 10 minutes to get the bottom part crunchy. Just make sure they always stay covered so they don't dry out!
For the sauce, I usually buy it already made. But you can make your own with a mixture of Soya Sauce, Vinegar and Tamarin.


2 comments:

  1. j'adore les gyoza! je vais essayer de les faire, mais je vais chercher une recette en français ou en espagnol, je comprends la moitié de tout ce que tu écris en anglais! hehe
    Gros bisous ma soeur!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Si tu ne trouve pas, cela me fera plaisir de traduire cette recette en francais!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete