Sunday, December 5, 2010

OHHHH-Bento

My first bento: Kimchi, rice, spinach roll, umeboshi et tamago
If you know me, you know I love bentos! I can spend hours looking at them. Through all my trip to Japan, I have built myself a small bento box collection with all the necessary tools to make them as Kawaii as possible.

This is the definition given on Wikipedia for bento:
Bento (弁当 bentō?)[1] is a single-portion takeout or home-packed meal common in Japanese cuisine. A traditional bento consists of rice, fish or meat, and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables, usually in a box-shaped container. Containers range from disposable mass produced to hand crafted lacquerware. Although bento are readily available in many places throughout Japan, including convenience stores, bento shops (弁当屋 bentō-ya?), train stations, and department stores, it is still common for Japanese homemakers to spend time and energy for their spouse, child, or themselves producing a carefully prepared lunch box.


Recently, I have spent countless hours looking at the web site, youtube videos and pictures of those mini-boxe lunch. Here is my favorite:
 

Off course, bentos are not always this elabore. In Japan, they are a commodity in any Combini (corner store) and sell for a few dollars.

My favorite bento place in Japan is Original bento! For just under 4$, you get a full delicious meal (fish with rice and tempura). They are easy to find since they have a bright pink sign.

A few weeks ago, I made bento's for 3 of my coworkers. I rolled some sushi, made some inari and tamago and a few sake-onigiri. It was a hit.That is when Lynn (one of my coworker) and I decided to challenge ourself in a friendly bento competition.




On december 17, we are to bring 2 identical bento each to be judge for taste and looks by the rest of the staff. I have started designing my bento and choose a "cute" theme. Tune in for some pictures of the process and the result!!!

1 comment: