Thursday, May 24, 2012

To my dear cat Ucchi

Today should have been a happy post about Hudson being 7 months. I had lot's a great things to talk about such as how she started eating food, and made a mess at a Sushi restaurant (yes, Hudson had her first maki-avocado roll). But that will have to wait. Today, instead, I would like to talk to you about Ucchi, my cat. Ucchi died last night at 11:25. Ucchi was sick. She was not eating and she was not drinking. Ucchi left us 2 weeks ago to go live with Marie. Everything was going well until two days ago when she started throwing up and stopped eating and drinking. I am heart broken. I was heart broken to see her go away. I am even more heart broken now.

A few years ago, after buying our house, Tristan and I drove down to the Human Society in Toronto wanting to pick up their two oldest cats (because no one ever wants older cats). Unfortunately on that day, they would only let us adopt one. We had to pick between Bean and Soho. We took Bean (Subachan) because not only was she older but she had already been at the facility for just over two years. But we made a promise to come back for Soho. Time passed and we forgot about it until almost a year later we got a phone call from one of the volunteer there. She asked us to come and pick up Soho (Ucchi) ASAP if we still wanted her. I thought it was really odd that we would receive this phone call. Anyway, the next day we drove the 2 hours back and forth and picked up a cat that looked nothing like the cat we had once considered. She was almost lethargic. Lifeless. We brought her home with very little expectation and gave her lots of love. It took her a LONG time to adjust. In a way, she never really fully adjusted. Yet she was the cuddliest cat I had ever met. Through out the painful miscarriage months, she never left my side. During my bedrest pregnancy, she never left my side. She was not the perfect cat but she loved us. As I sent her away with my sister, I was heart broken that we could not be the perfect family. And as I write this, I am heart broken that I cannot give her all the love she gave me in her hard time. I am afraid. I am afraid she will die alone. Because, no one deserves to die alone. Please keep her in your thoughts.

I wrote this post yesterday evening. Last night, Marie went to the emergency vet at around 11 pm. BY then it was already too late. We opted to have her be put down as oppose to let her suffer. There was nothing else that could be done. She did not die alone, She was with my sister as they euthanized her. She will be buried in our garden. We have yet to decide which plan we should plant over her.   

2 comments:

  1. Ne te sens pas coupable ! Je crois que tu as fais ce qui était le mieux pour elle. De plus, tu as fait un geste super de la prendre du refuge et de lui avoir donné un toit et une famille ! La pluspart des gens prennent des chatons ...et toi tu as décidé de la prendre meme si elle était plus agés et malade ! Je suis certaine qu'elle vous en aient reconnaisante !

    ReplyDelete