Thursday, November 15, 2012

My baby who never sleeps is sleeping!

It is 11 am...
I made breakfast
Did the weekly grocery, stopped by Dollarama...
Prepared a crockpot dinner
Did 2 loads of laundry, folded one
Stripped my cloth diaper
Did last night's dishes
Cleaned the kitchen
Swept the floor
Checked my e-mail
Wrote this post...

Did I mention Hudson has been with me all this time... Did I mention she is teething again and is in a crappy mood (and has been for 2 days now).

You see, my baby who never sleeps is sleeping much better. She is still not sleeping through the night but that was never my goal! My goal was to have a baby with proper sleeping habits, who would wake up well rested in the morning. As a bonus, I would wake up well rested as well.

So we made lots and lots of changes... the biggest one was without any doubt the fact that we were not going to force her to bed, actually we were not going to put her in bed anymore... We did as usual... dinner, playtime, bath, lotion, pj, reading a book... and then instead of going to bed, breastfeeding and fighting with her to sleep... we now go to the bedroom with the book, we put just a dim light one. I sit on the ground with her, read the book, breastfed her and then I tell her good night and close the light. The first night you could tell she had no idea what was going on... she played for close to 3 hours before she got upset and finally went to bed. It took her 2 nights to figure it out. Now when I am done breastfeeding her, she goes to the mattress, lights up her glowworm and usually drink a bit of milk from her bottle. Yesterday, she was asleep within 5 minutes! Just like that... I was still standing by the light switch... 

Actually even more impressive is the fact that yesterday morning, she went up the staircase, directly to her bed... (she brought me with her) I breastfed her and then she went to nap... once more on her own...

This morning was a bit different, I was not expecting her to nap this early. I was just giving her a snack and she fell asleep.

So Hudson now has 2 good naps a day, and my house is finally clean... my homework is finally getting done... and I am finally well rested! 

Hudson knows where her bed is... and she can get to it on her own. Basically when we realized at around 4 months that our daughter was not a good sleeper... and that the crib we had was useless in teaching her proper sleep habits... we went around looking... and this is what I found : the Montessori bed. I liked the idea and so did Tristan. We did the set up but then we never ended up utilizing it. 2 weeks ago, we really kick it in high gear... perhaps it is only a coincidence, perhaps she was just "ready"... but it has been working really really well for us... I still find it nerve wracking that she can basically get up and go anywhere in the room... but we baby proofed beyond imagination and so far, she really has not been wondering around (other than coming to our bed).

So this is where we are at... I am happy! I am so happy! The next step for us, is to get her to fall asleep when we are not in the room with her... we will see how that goes! 

1 comment:

  1. Ouaw je suis vraiment contente pour vous que ca fonctionne !!! Apres tout ce temps a essayer de la faire dormir !!!! Félicitation !!!!

    ReplyDelete