Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Colic? Purple Crying? NOPE... blame the fleece

A few days after turning 2 months, our son started crying every night at the same time... for more or less an hour (sometimes longer...) Hudson never did this! I knew he was not overtired... him being such a good sleeper... Yet every night at around 7:30, he would start hysterically screaming... no matter what we did... he would not stop... we nursed, we rocked, we walked, we sang, we flashed lights, used sound machine, sushed him, brought him on car ride... you name it... there would be the odd day where we would have no "colic" but otherwise it was very steady and heart wrenching... (no mother likes to see their baby cry like that). We talked about it with friend, with doctor.... and well... we were told : "Just your classic case of colic" We were even told to be thankful he didn't scream any longer than an hour... So we went with the flow... and every night got ready for his "colic"... Knowing one day it would end!

Then he turned 5 months... and as quickly as the colic came, the colic stopped... for 6 nights that is... Then last night it came back!!!! We were devastated! WHY!!!!!!!!!!!! What did we do differently! Why stop for 6 days and then go right back at it! Then it hit me! I quickly removed his PJ and layer him down on the cold cotton bed sheet. He stopped right away! And went back to his happy self!

I had my answer right then! The fleece PJ! When he was around 2 months, the weather cold colder and we started using fleece PJ at night.... then 6 days ago, I notice he had eczema (which got confirmed by the doctor), so I stopped using fleece PJ (I myself have eczema and can hardly touch fleece)... But I had never done the math... it should have been obvious... PJ fleece + dry sensitive skin = lot's of pain!!!! 

I think that some of the reasons I never really made the connection was 1. Hudson does not have eczema; 2. His eczema only became visible 2 weeks ago and 3. I was blinded by "it's just a colicky baby... it will pass".

I feel horrible about it... and can't help but wonder how many colicky baby actually have a "real reason to cry" that goes undetected... 

So no more fleece anything for Phénix and just bought some raw shea butter... time to make some serious anti-eczema cream ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment