Takasaki is about an hour away from where my sister lives and is known for his umeboshi (plums). It is not a city tourist go to although it has lots to offer from a culinary and cultural stand point.
Yesterday morning, I was wide awake at 5:30 am. I waited for Marie to get up at around 8 and after breakfast we left for the train station. We got to Takasaki at around 12 and we went straight to the temple. Once more there were only a few people. We took some pictures, bought some omikuji daruma (fortune teller) and started walking to the Daimonya (Factory).
For the first time since we I arrived in Japan, it was not raining!! Yeah!! The sun even peak out from behind the clouds a few time. We got to the factory and we were a little bit scared the old man wouldn’t be there. I went straight to the workshop door and took a peek. There he was working… I ask one of the girl working there if she could ask him to come out. The old man seemed really surprised. And then he recognized us. What a relief. We gave him out gift from Canada and we chatted a bit. He was so surprised. He couldn’t believe we had come all this way to thank him for last year!!! He was also happy to know that Marie was now living in Japan. He asked why Tristan wasn’t there. I explained to him he had to work ;-)
Well…. He took us on a grand tour of the city!!! From the mountain top garden to the Byakui Kannon and then (as if it wasn’t enough) he brought us to his daughter’s store ( a very fined Kimono making store) so we could have traditional Japanese green tea and mochi! It truly was delicious. His daughter was so pretty all dressed up in her kimono and spoke french!! A few years back she had studied in Paris. She was really happy to practice.
Once more our trip to Takasaki this year was unbelievable. I didn’t go in all the details but I feel truly fortunate to have had such an amazing experience to year in a row!!
Hello,
ReplyDeleteI read your message more than three years after you wrote it. I am french and live very near to Gunma Prefecture. I was quite decided to go to Takasaki and see Daruma's factory. Your beautiful story with the craftsman and your pictures make my wish stronger !
Bonjour! Je suis bien contente que mon histoire t'inspire a aller visiter Takasaki ;-) C'est un endroit que j'aime beaucoup au Japon et pour cette raison j'y suis retournee trois fois ;-)
DeleteSi tu en fais la demande, tu peux faire un atelier pour peinturer ton propre Daruma. La manufacture est a peu pres a cinq minutes du temple. Alors les deux se font tres bien en une journee. Par contre le temple et la manufacture sont loin de la station de train. Il faut prendre l'autobus qui passe par l'hopital et fait le tour de la ville... alors il faut compter beaucoup de temps. Si tu decides d'y aller, laisse moi savoir! Et surtout n'oublie pas de partager ton experience sur ton blog ;-)
Voici le site web
Deletehttp://daimonya.jp/